eBoard Meeting #18 January 26, 2016

Published by

Call to Order 10:00am

Minutes of last meeting December 7, 2015 HERE

Minutes of January 16, 2016 Annual Meeting HERE

Treasures Report – Gary Smith @ Annual Meeting
2015 Income $103,060
2015 Expense $95,219
2015 Net $7,940
1/20/15 Bank Balance $57,634
12/31/15 Bank Balance $65,475

1. Board of Directors welcome Peter Daly

2. Board Elections/Appointments
President, V President, Secretary, Treasurer
Membership Director, Equipment Manager

3. Equipment

4. RD Race Financial Reports & Race Calendar

5. Club sponsored runs

6. MSTR Series

7. Date of Splash and Dash, Marlinton Weekend

8. Date of Spring BoD/RD Meeting in Cross Lanes

2015 photos into web file

 

94 responses so far

94 Comments

  • Dan Lehmann says:

    Item 1 New BoD member Pete Daly
    Not much to say other than welcome. You will get accustomed to this format, not the best, but it works and gives us a good record. Reply in the appropriate agenda Item box and all will be fine.

  • Dan Lehmann says:

    Item 2 Board office nominations
    Currently Lehmann Pres, Casseday VP, Todd Secretary, Treasurer open. I would like to nominate Matt for treasurer, however he may need to step back from his Membership Director role.

    • potts says:

      i can second that nomination if needed

    • Matt Young says:

      I accept the nomination for Treasurer. Someone to take membership role would be great. It’s a new thing as of last year so you can make it what you want. I think Lehmann and Todd both did the role before so it was mostly taking some work from them. Off the top of my head it consists of: 1) thank you notes to members making donations 2) welcome emails to new members 3) renewal emails through mail chimp. It’s mostly automated so it’s easy. 4) processing paper memberships and renewals- that just means entering the member info in to Run Sign up. 5) Anything you feel would be good to encourage new members and add member value.

    • Matt Young says:

      And for the membership piece, I have another question to throw out. Can a non-board member play a role in the membership promotion? Seems to be a good way to get others involved that would be willing but don’t serve on the board.

    • I move that we also accept the above current slate of suckers . . . I mean officers.

  • Dan Lehmann says:

    Item 3 – Equipment
    At the Annual Meeting the only suggestion was for a second Time Machine as back up. We currently have one north and one south. They work fine or did until I dropped mine last week after Sasquatch. It would not turn on. I spoke to Flying Feet Computers, they felt it has minor. I shipped it to WA for repair.

  • Dan Lehmann says:

    Item 4 – RD Race Financial Reports and Race Calendar
    Several points mostly just for your information.
    With Gregg Yarborough’s help we have the electronic report to a point where it’s “perfect” I hope. RD’s were inadvertently adding data and changing the excel formulas.
    We are trying to get completely away from RD’s spending their money by use of our credit cards for purchases, or receiving invoices directly for suppliers.
    We would prefer not to advance cash and require receipts for repayment.
    Late bills from vendors often delay RD’s submitting timely reports.
    Some races have not updated for 2016 yet, I have contacted them.

  • Dan Lehmann says:

    Item 5 – Club sponsored runs
    We have talked many times, and members ask about club runs. We hold three now; Pub Run in Thomas, Splash n Dash in South Charleston, Marlinton Weekend in Marlinton. Splash and Marlinton are financially supported by the club at approximately $200 and $75 respectively. The Pub Run is not however I would like it to be this year.
    At the Annual Meeting we discussed encouraging a few more such runs around the state and supporting them with post a run lunch/dinner/snack? A few regional runs and lunch could be another way of giving back to the members, we threw around the $200 figure. There would need to ne some selection process. The run would be minimally structured; a planned route, meet place, register free through RSU etc. Members Only?? The work will be finding the persons willing to lead the event. We would most likely have to pick the person and region. What do you think? Maybe we could even work toward a FA ultra run.
    I would like to request we support the post run meal at the Pub Run.

    • potts says:

      i vote to approve funding for lunch at this years pub run not to exceed $200.

    • potts says:

      club runs are a good way to introduce our club to general public in a non-competitive setting. i would support funding more club fun runs and not limiting them to members only. i wasn’t a member when i came to the NFM club run back in 2003 and met my a-hole cousin for the second time. in retrospect now i’m wishing you wouldn’t have allowed me to attend NFM 2003.

      • potts says:

        and is marlinton set in stone? we used to move it around a bit. NFM was always fun.

        • Dan Lehmann says:

          The Marlinton guys really like hosting, lots of good trails. Several folks would like to do the NFMT again too.

          • potts says:

            i’d vote to help host a NFM in the late summer early fall as a pre-fall training run.

            • Dan Lehmann says:

              Sounds like our first new club run, single event, no commitment to do every year.

            • Daniel Todd says:

              We need someone new to take the planning and execution of this run. It can’t always be the same people. Fresh leadership might bring new runners to the event.

            • Sounds like a good idea Potts. NFM is my favorite WV trail hands down. Logistics are difficult to plan, but worth it.

              • potts says:

                I can take lead on organizing an early fall camp weekend at NFM.

                • I move that we approve up to, but not to exceed, $200 for Bill Potts to plan a club run for fall 2016 of North Fork Mtn.

                • Daniel Todd says:

                  two nights is more food and supplies. Probably going to need more than $200.

                • Dan Lehmann says:

                  If you plan a 2 day thing at the Forest Service Seneca Shadows campground and food and plan to cover all costs, $200 won’t touch it. I was thinking events closer to the bone; camp free at our place on Spruce (with owner consent), feed yourself Fri evening and Sat morn, cover Sat afternoon Augus or Veggie burgers, beverages, sides.

                • Peter Daly says:

                  Camping on spruce mnt. would help with the costs, but organizing shuttle and providing aid at the midway point seem to be the main issues that I can think of. That said I’m all for it!

              • Ashley Dolin says:

                Time and date and we’ll do our best to come. Also, Dolin and I have been toying with the idea of pool/run at ksf this summer. We have hook up with the park folks and the main cost would be pool or shelter.

        • Daniel Todd says:

          Have you attended a Marlinton Camp/Run Weekend? They are pretty fun, too. 😉

          • Dan Lehmann says:

            Marlinton Camp Run is great indeed. I think NFM might be doable too. Would it be overnight? 1 or 2 nights?

            • potts says:

              i’ll go with the option of two nights camping package and see if some of our Virginia, eastern WV and Maryland members can join us. early fall would be perfect for fall training and camping and to minimize death from heat exhaustion up there. i will take the lead on this one.

              yes, i was went to marlinton once and it was nice too.

    • Matt Young says:

      Yes, please fund the Pub Run. And I like opening these events to members and prospective members. Non members registering through RSU would have the option to join when they sign up for the free event. Part of our mission is to encourage great trail running in WV and this fits. Being generous when you have the means is almost always a good thing.

    • Peter Daly says:

      I could put together a run in the North. We have Coopers Rock and Big Bear as good options. Big Bear is a private trail system so it would carry a cost off the top, but both would be great options. Open for suggestions for dates.

    • Daniel Todd says:

      Marlinton Camp Run – August 5th-7th – Pending Pete and Tim approval.

    • Matt Young says:

      Wednesday, August 3rd for Splash & Dash. I’ll care the RSU sign up

  • Dan Lehmann says:

    Item 6 – MSTR Series
    This is just an idea which would best be discussed face to face with all RD’s in April. You might recall the Series we held from 2004-2007 (I think it was). It helped get several new trail runs going. WVMTR currently hosts 10 trail runs and 6 ultras. What if we had a non-competitive series where a person was rewarded in some way for completing x number of runs. Might be fun, might get more folks out to other parts of the state. Just a thought. Dan T says there’s a Series tool in RSU.

    • Matt Young says:

      I’m in favor of it. Include all WVMTR races towards it including ultras….. 8 races seems to high and 6 maybe too low. Seems like 7 might be good.

    • I am indifferent. Sounds like a logistical nightmare for someone. I will support the majority opinion of the BOD.

    • Dan Lehmann says:

      I think it would be easier to start out with just the <50k distances, see how it goes. If there is no scoring, completion only, recording data would be a simple spreadsheet. The completion award cost needs estimated, I think participation would be high with all the races in the KV. Need to incorporate others races; Canary, Helvetia, Canary to spread the benefit and accomplishnent.

    • Daniel Todd says:

      Something that Dan didn’t mention in the original comment is that the final event where the participation awards would be distributed would be Canary in the Cave. The side benefit of pushing participation in that event.

      • Ashley Dolin says:

        I am working with Gu to get full sponsorship for the club (lots of back and forth emails) so maybe they’d be willing to toss some swag our way for winners. They offered a partial sponsorship for sasquatch, but shipping takes 30 days and there were limited flavors on specific products.

  • Dan Lehmann says:

    Item 7 & 8 Dates – Suggestions?

  • Daniel Todd says:

    We still have the outstanding topic of philanthropy.

  • Dan Lehmann says:

    Vote and Wrap Up – January 27

    Item 2 – Board Elections
    Young nominated for Treasurer. Todd, Casseday, Lehmann nominated. VOTE NEEDED TO CONFIRM.
    Daly appointed Membership Director. Young, Todd, Lehmann will assist as needed.
    Not discussed, but Dennis Stottlemyer manages south trailer, Lehmann north

    Item 3 – Equipment
    I will order TM and have shipped to Todd.

    Item 5 – Sponsor Club Runs
    We will work to encourage a couple new runs in strategic locations of the state. No cost, guests welcome, $200 food or
    other cost can be borne by club. Club member needs a simple plan narrative for approval.
    Pub Run good for $200 post run food.
    Potts will organize a NFMT club run late summer/fall 2016. $200 for food.

    Item 6 – MSTR Series
    General support was voiced. Lehmann will work with Young and Todd to see if we can put together a series for this year. We
    will work up some numbers and costs to present to the BoD for review.

    Item 7 – Dates
    April 9, 2016 at 9:00 BoD/RD Meeting Cross Lanes April 9. Lehmann reserve meeting room, Todd select lunch location.
    I will send a notice out to RD’s today.
    August 6, 2016 Marlinton. Todd do RSU.

    Philanthropy – First agenda item for April 9 Bod meeting. We’ll set up Skype for Potts over there in East VA.

  • Peter Daly says:

    2– vote yes for confirmation

    7– April 9 yes

Trackbacks / Pingbacks

Leave a Reply